American writer, Henry James said
"Summer afternoon -- summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language."
August is the bridge between a summer afternoon and a day in school. Late August represents the beginning of a new school year. Just like the start of a new year, or a new week or even a new day, August is perfect for refreshing our goals. The cricket's chirp is amplified, thoughts of sharpened pencils and fresh lined paper inspire me to explore new areas of learning.
“The glory of God is intelligence” D&C 93:36
I love the birdsong in the early morning, and seeing neighbors out on walks and runs in the cool 6 am, children on bikes and warm summer evenings, the smell of BBQ as much as I love a new friend, a new teacher, a new place to sit and a new book. Though no longer a formal student, I am more thirsty to learn now than I have ever been. I love the thought of studying together with sisters of the Parleys stake, especially something that matters, like Talmage's Jesus the Christ, I have visions of the book, Jesus the Christ, in the hand of sisters on the bus, on front porches, in the waiting room of the dentist's office, on lunch hours, under a tree, in an armchair by firelight. Not unlike when we read the Book of Mormon together as a worldwide church under the direction of President Hinckley. How wonderful to teach one another in the grocery store aisle by discussing an insight about Christ's sacred title, or a parable. How edifying to talk over the back fence about a personal glimpse into the atonement or an increased illumination of a clouded passage of scripture.
Dr. Talmage first presented his study on the Savior as a series of lectures delivered under the auspices of the Deseret Sunday School Union Board at the LDS University in Salt Lake City from September 1904 to April 1906. He was subsequently asked by the First Presidency of the Church to publish the lectures in book form. Because of other commitments, he was unable to complete this assignment for several years.
On December 8, 1911, Dr. Talmage was ordained a member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Less than three years later he was able at last to continue his work on the manuscript, writing in longhand in a council room on the fourth floor of the Salt Lake Temple. As chapters were completed, he presented them to the First Presidency, members of the Twelve, and Sunday School board members.
In his journal under date of April 19, 1915, Elder Talmage wrote: “Finished the actual writing on the book ‘Jesus the Christ,’ to which I have devoted every spare hour since settling down to the work of composition on September 14th last. Had it not been that I was privileged to do this work in the Temple it would be at present far from completion. I have felt the inspiration of the place and have appreciated the privacy and quietness incident thereto.” (from the Forward to Jesus the Christ.)
I think I can't wait until the 24th of September to begin reading with you. . . and knowing my Savior more intimately. Then to contemplate increased knowledge, in white, within the walls of the Holy Temple where the sacred book was penned.
wishing lovely summer afternoons to all of you wonderful women of covenant,
Shawn Morgan
(counselor in the Parleys Stake Relief Society)
Without planning it, we realized that our reading-to-Temple experience will cover roughly the same time frame in which Elder Talmage wrote Jesus the Christ - September to April. How joyous is that?
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea. I actually just finished reading Jesus the Christ for the maybe 5th time but I would happily read it again. It is a book that Ii learn so much from each time I read it. Elder Talmage was certainly inspired when he wrote this one. I think it is as close to scripture as a book can get.
ReplyDelete