We hope you find joy in sharing together with the Women of Parleys Stake! Ward Presidents and the Stake Relief Society Presidency will share posts and we hope that you will share kind and uplifting comments and questions. We will publish comments from members of the Stake - whether they reside here, (or their hearts reside here), are serving in the mission-field or are attending school away from home. (Please sign your comments with your full name so that we can get to know you, better. Thanks!)

Friday, July 13, 2012

My Trek Experience - Denice Long (3rd Ward)


(Thank-you to Denice Long from the 3rd Ward for sharing this beautiful experience with us!) 
From the first time I ever heard of “A Trek,” I knew I wanted to go.  I have always loved the stories of the pioneers and found great inspiration in their sacrifices and their faith.  I was beyond excited when I was called to be in the Young Women’s program last August and I heard that this was the year for Trek.  I silently prayed that I would have the opportunity to go.  Unfortunately, I had just undergone complete knee replacement surgery.  The chances of me being ready less than a year later AND being asked to participate were pretty slim.  None the less, I kept the date in the back of my mind and pushed myself physically to get my knee ready so I could go if I was offered the opportunity.
Discouraged was a word I used often as I struggled to get my knee in shape.  Recovery was slow and teaching all day on my feet didn’t help.  When I was asked by Tim Hatch and Ruth Todd to be a part of the organizing committee, I knew this was my chance!  I had to prepare even harder.  I began walking more and charging up hills and pushing myself until I developed plantar fasciitis in my heel.  How could I walk when each step created a shooting pain in my heel and up my leg?  Maybe I wasn’t meant to go. 
Tim Hatch, in one of our trainings, asked us if we had had experiences that were trying to keep us from going.  I knew he was talking about me.  I didn’t lose hope.  When the committee asked me to be an Aunt, I knew I was meant to go and I was going to go, no matter what!!
I was anxious as the first day of trek arrived.  How would I be able to handle the constant pain?  Could I walk as far as I needed to each day?  The questions caused me great fear.  We only trekked about 3 miles the first day.  As I feared, each step sent stabbing pain into my heel and up my leg.  I limped to avoid the pain but that only created pain in other parts of my knee, leg, and hip.  How could I walk up to 10 miles in one day?
I started to feel a real sense of humility.  How did the pioneers do it day after day?  They must have felt pain each day.  There had to have been blisters and bad knees and plantar fasciitis.  I began to really relate to these people.  Maybe that was the lesson I was to learn.
As we trekked the next day to Martin’s Cove and crossed the Sweetwater River where one of my ancestors is buried, the spirit burned within me.  I knew that these pioneers had faith beyond what any of us could imagine.  I was touched over and over that day, but really felt the message I needed to hear by Sondra Bennion that evening.  She told us she was trekking for her grandson, who had passed away from cancer.  When he was struggling near the end of his life he prayed for strength, courage, and peace.  He didn’t pray to live or to have the pain taken away, just the strength and courage to deal with it in peace. 
The next day as we approached the woman’s pull, I was anxious that I would be able to help my “adopted” family make it up the hill.  I didn’t want to be a burden, but wanted to contribute to the success of our women.  I kept reciting the words, “strength, courage, peace,” and kept praying to play my part.  I experienced my own little miracle that day.  I felt NO pain.  There was no pain in my knee or my heel as I pushed the cart up that hill.  It startled me at first and then because it was so noticeable it made me begin to cry.  I knew that I couldn’t break down and cry right there so I thanked my Heavenly Father with great joy!  We pushed to the top and all I could feel was sweet rejoicing in my heart!  The pain returned as easily as it left, but it made no difference to me.  The Lord had answered my prayers and I couldn’t deny it! 
I understand what the pioneers who made it meant when they talked of the strength they received along the way.  Mine was such a simple thing, but it strengthened me and my testimony.  It was a hard ordeal for me, both physically and emotionally, but it was one of the most profound experiences of my life.  I will ever be grateful for our pioneer ancestors and their legacy and for my personal miracle near Martin’s Cove.


1 comment:

  1. Denise,
    Thank you for sharing such a beautiful experience. I am grateful for the inspiring example of the pioneers who lived every footstep with faith and courage; with an eye focused on the blessing of the temple.

    Karri

    ReplyDelete