Book of Mormon Reading
Mosiah Chapters 7-22
I am so grateful for this assignment. Sad but true, when an assignment is given I tend to pay more attention to my reading. I don't allow words to flow in and out of my brain quite as fast as normal. In these chapters I am overwhelmed by the "meat" in this account. I could highlight the entire section. Ammon sets off to find the people of Lehi-Nephi. He finds King Limhi and finds the record of Zeniff. The record of King Noah and Abinadi are contained in these plates. There is so much to be learned through this reading. Abinadi gives one of the most wonderful sermons and calls to repentance in all the scriptures.
One of my favorite sciptures is in Mosiah 10:11 as Ammon is setting out to find his bretheren. I have skimmed over this before as just a "set up" scripture to another story of Laminite and Nephite fighting. However this reading I was struck by how much this pertains to me and how I approach assignments. It reads "Now, the Lamanites knew nothing concerning the Lord, nor the strength of the Lord, therefore they depended upon their own strength. Yet they were a strong people, as to the strength of men." How often do we rely on our own strengths instead of including the Lord's strength in our assignments and jobs. How much more effective and powerful could we be if we would remember to add God's strength in all we do.
I was also stricken this time with the idea that as Abinadi called King Noah to repentance, he also was a missionary to all who could hear his sermon. It is clear that Alma heard Abinadi and was converted as he listened. The scriptures do say that it caused Alma to plead for Abinadi's life to King Noah. I am not sure if Abinadi ever knew that upon the strength of his tesimony he brought Alma and therefore hundred of others to the waters of baptism. Abinadi may have gone to his death only knowing that he did not change King Noah's heart. Did he have any idea of the lives he did change?
We may never know the effectiveness of bearing witness to the truthfulness of the gospel. We may touch just one heart and in turn many others. I need to step up and bear witness of what I know to be true.
Teri Lyn Baucom
Parley's 5th Ward
No comments:
Post a Comment