Book of Mormon Reading
Mosiah 23-Alma 2
This weeks reading of the Book of Mormon was full of wonderful teachings, so much so I wouldn't have enough space to write what I learned. This week I want to focus on Alma the Younger and relate his experience with Elder Christofferson recent General Conference talk on "The Divine Gift of Repentance." In Mosiah 27, it described Alma the Younger as 'a very wicked and idolatrous man. A man of many words who did speak flattery to the people; therefore he led may of the people to do after the manner of his iniquities.' Alma the Younger 'rebelled against God and His teachings' to the point that an angel of the Lord appeared to help correct Alma's actions.. I'm grateful for that angel, he was the catalyst (next to the many prayers in Alma's behave) of his repentance process. Alma took this GRAND invitation of repentance and described it as 'being redeemed from the gall of bitterness and becoming a new creature.' Part of Alma's repentance process was to 'zealously strive to repair all the injuries which he had done to the church, confessing all his sins and publishing all the things he had seen. He became an instrument in the hands of God in bringing many to the knowledge of the truth of their Redeemer, Jesus Christ.'
In Elder Christopherson conference talk, he mentioned that the false teachings of the world is to rationalize and justify all the things we do. The worlds teachings give us liberty to indulge in any appetite or desire without the concern for consequences. When we are told to repent by our prophets (or angel in Alma's case), we should receive this invitation with JOY. Without repentance, there is no real progress or improvement in life. I don't think Alma the Younger could have been the great leader, prophet, teacher, parent and person he was without accepting the divine gift of repentance. I'm so glad Alma the Younger repented and became an instrument in the Lord's hand. All of his teachings and experiences in the Book of Mormon have inspired me and drawn me closer to my Savior. The same thing can happen to us! When we repent, the Atonement of Jesus Christ, in the words of Elder Christopherson and Alma the Younger,' points us to freedom, confindence and peace.' ' I could remember my pains no more and oh, what marvelous light... my soul was filled with joy (Alma 36)!
What did you learn about repentance from the example of Alma the Younger?
Your friend~
Staci Dearden-Parleys 7th Ward
No comments:
Post a Comment