We hope you find joy in sharing together with the Women of Parleys Stake! Ward Presidents and the Stake Relief Society Presidency will share posts and we hope that you will share kind and uplifting comments and questions. We will publish comments from members of the Stake - whether they reside here, (or their hearts reside here), are serving in the mission-field or are attending school away from home. (Please sign your comments with your full name so that we can get to know you, better. Thanks!)

Monday, December 19, 2011

Parents responsibility to teach-- Book Of Mormon Chp 35-44

Hello Sisters,

This reading section is amazing. It covers some of my favorite chapters in the Book Of Mormon. There is simply too much to summarize it all in a concise way. As I was reading a couple of ideas stood out prominently. First I recalled President Eyring's talk from October General Conference that focused on the Book of Mormon and its role in our lives; how we live our lives is our witness of the truths it teaches. And second, I saw what a great responsibility parents have to teach their children correct principles. As I was reading I could imagine that Alma's heart was both joyful and heavy as he contemplated what, in essence, would be his final instructions to his sons. He had great joy in Helaman and Shiblon; sorrow in Corianton. As I am not a parent, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to counsel children and to provide correction when their course begins to move counter to what we know to be true. I think Alma did a marvelous job at providing immediate and specific instruction while still showing how much he loved his son, Corianton. He may have seen reflections of his own actions in those of his son and most certainly didn't want to have him suffer the consequences of continuing in that course. I was also reminded of a talk from Conference (I can't find it so I may be way off here...) that stated something to the effect that when we fail to offer counsel to correct mistakes we are placing our needs and comfort above those of the person in need of help.

I thought these topics were important as a focus for teaching children (or anyone for that matter): 1) Listen to leaders and parents they know the way (see Pres Packers conference talk); 2) Obedience provides a shield against Satan; 3) Remembering what God has done for us helps us be more grateful; 4) Record keeping (ie journals) are vital so that we may learn from the experiences of others; 5) Look to Christ as an example in all things (Alma 37:40-47); 6) Sin causes pain, repentance brings joy; 7) Personal revelation is vital to gaining a testimony of any gospel topic; 8) By simple means great things come about (see the RS message in Dec--our actions to teach don't need to do large and overwhelming but should be deliberate and consistent); 9) Prayer is vital (not just saying a prayer but really praying); 10) we are all given sacred responsibilities to fulfill; 11) God keeps ALL of his promises to us but it is based on our actions and faithfulness; 12) The plan of salvation is a central cog to our gospel understanding and mortality is a time to learn what and who God needs us to be; 13) wickedness never produces happiness in the long run; and 14) Justice cannot be robbed but mercy is available to those who repent. I am sure there are many more. I also like Chapter 37:32-37 as examples of what should be taught to our children.

Shiblon in one of my favorite Book of Mormon heroes. I would love to meet him someday. His coverage in the Book of Mormon isn't extensive but still paints a clear picture of the type of man that he was. He wasn't as well known as his brother, perhaps, as he wasn't to be the next religious leader. But he steadfastly and diligently did exactly what he was supposed to do for no other reason than because it was right. His father describes him as faithful, diligent, patient, long-suffering, and steady. What better qualities could be found in any man--young or old. Those are the qualities that any girls should look for in a husband and father. Alma's counsel to Shiblon to trust in the Lord to over come trials and troubles (38:5) has been one of my favorite scriptures; it figures prominently in my learning to do just that. I also love the counsel to "bridle all your passions" (vs 12) and by so doing love of God becomes the focus. And to "refrain from idleness." How often an idle mind or body can get into trouble.

Captain Moroni is introduced in these chapters as well. He is another of my heroes. I love how he always prepares for battle and prepares his people for battle. There is no procrastination in his preparation. He gives all his attention to it. Part of the preparation always includes prayer. And when the battles are finished he always gives credit to Heavenly Father for preserving their lives. What an example to us as we daily engage in battle with Satan. We should be preparing continually--scripture reading, attending sacrament meeting, serving others, etc. And we need to daily ask our Father to preserve us in this battle.

I love the Book of Mormon. I know that is comes from a loving Father who wants us all to return home so that he can crown us with blessings and glory. Christ lives. I am so grateful for the Christmas season; may the sights, sounds, and Spirit of the season be in your hearts always.

Love,
Karri Hoyt

No comments:

Post a Comment