As my own children are getting married, having children of their own, and building their own families; I have been reflecting on my own history. As a child growing up in Parley's Stake, I had the opportunity to be taught by so many great men and women. So many of those childhood reflections have been pivotal in my own choices and direction. I am amazed at how many times I hear the voices of my Primary, Sunday School, and Young Women's leaders warning me of pitfalls I might face and how to avoid them. I can still hear Brother Lambert teaching about respect, Sister Parker bearing witness of the importance of temple marriage, and Bishop Pulsipher's testimony. I can so clearly see Brother Hans Hubert explaining the plan of salvation to our Primary as he had just lost his dear Pam (and my friend at 7 years old) to a brain tumor. These voices shaped my present and who I am today more than I ever could have dreamed. Our past shapes our present, our present truly shapes our future.
The beautiful new history of the Releif Society, Daughters In My Kingdom, has been given to each sister of our stake. "The history of the relief society teaches the divine identity and infinite worth of daughters of God. Through the study of this history, Latter-Day Saints can see that our Heavenly Father knows his daughters, that He loves them, that He trusts them with sacred responsibilities." (pg xxii, Daughters in my Kingdom) This gift is to remind us where we as women in this church have come from and our potential to move forward.
As we embark on this great adventure in reading Jesus The Christ or The Book of Mormon together, we have great opportunity to shape our present and future testimonies. I certainly need all the help I can get! I am looking so forward to your insights and thoughts as we face this fun challenge together.
Teri Lyn Baucom
Stake Transition
No comments:
Post a Comment