We hope you find joy in sharing together with the Women of Parleys Stake! Ward Presidents and the Stake Relief Society Presidency will share posts and we hope that you will share kind and uplifting comments and questions. We will publish comments from members of the Stake - whether they reside here, (or their hearts reside here), are serving in the mission-field or are attending school away from home. (Please sign your comments with your full name so that we can get to know you, better. Thanks!)

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Book of Mormon Chapters 2Nephi 10-25

I hesitate to add to this blog so soon after Sister Corinne Cannon's Comments. I hope everyone had a chance to read her comments yesterday. Please make sure to read her blog on the reading assignment for Jesus, The Christ.

These are a few thoughts I had on the Book of Mormon reading this past week. In 2 Nephi 10:3, Jacob tells us of the atonement of the Savior and introduces the name "Christ" for the first time.

"Wherefore, as I said unto you, it must needs be expedient that Christ--for in the last night the angel spake unto me that this should be His name--should come among the Jews,"

In 1 Nephi, Jesus, had been referred to as "Messiah", "Savior" and "Redeemer", but now, as Jacob tells us in this scripture, we know Him as the "Christ". It's not until Chapter 26, that Jacob actually refers to our Savior as, "Jesus, the Christ".

Then, in 2 Nephi Chapter 11, Nephi takes over the narrative again. These chapters of the Book of Mormon are compared to the Isaiah chapters 2 to 14 in The Old Testament.

I will admit, sisters, that these "Isaiah" chapters, while so beautifully written, have been chapters that I often "leap frog" through because I am a simple girl and I don't always understand what Isaiah is saying! So, imagine my surprise that this would be my reading (and blogging) assignment this week!

These chapters vividly describe the consequences for the wickedness and folly of the nations of the world. And yet, in Isaiah's writings, I see two major highlights; the events leading up to the birth of the Savior, and the events leading up to His second coming. While I do not always understand everything that Isaiah writes, I do understand the importance of knowing the Savior, Jesus Christ, and of His birth, ministry, atonement, resurrection and His second coming. I'm sure that each of you have other thoughts on these chapters and saw things with deeper clarity. What were some of the highlights for you in this reading?

In 2 Nephi 25:26, Nephi writes, "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."

I hope that each of you will take a few minutes to add your thoughts to this blog. I am grateful for the extra study allowed me this week to contemplate these chapters of the Book of Mormon. I love that the women of the Parleys Stake are "talking" of Christ, rejoicing in Him and preaching of Him, in this weekly blog. I testify of my love for the Savior and of my love for these sacred scriptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment