We hope you find joy in sharing together with the Women of Parleys Stake! Ward Presidents and the Stake Relief Society Presidency will share posts and we hope that you will share kind and uplifting comments and questions. We will publish comments from members of the Stake - whether they reside here, (or their hearts reside here), are serving in the mission-field or are attending school away from home. (Please sign your comments with your full name so that we can get to know you, better. Thanks!)

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Jesus the Christ - Progression, Individuals, and the Atonement

As I have contemplated what this experience has brought to my life, I wanted to write a little about the general impact, not necessarily specific chapters in the reading. Admittedly I got off to a late start on the reading and had to catch up to the schedule, but it has worked for me since I am approaching this book a little differently this time.

In this reading of Jesus the Christ, I am approaching the book with a focus on themes and patterns, rather than specific factual knowledge. The further into the book I get, it is becoming clear how everything is based on progression. So far, in the reading Christ progressed from the infant born in Bethlehem to a teacher and worker of miracles. Because I know how the mortal ministry ends, the book will continue to show Christ progressing towards fulfilling the atonement for us.

As my reading has progressed to where we are now, watching the ministry of Christ unfold, I am struck more forcefully how individual His ministry was. While He did some teaching to multitudes (such as the Sermon on the Mount), there are numerous examples and stories of Christ interacting with people one on one. He consistently takes the person from where they are and lifts them up to a higher level. He supports them in their need, and yet it seems that He also focuses on how to help them become "better". For example, Nicodemus talked with Christ about the need to be born again. We have this great teaching because of a personal interaction.

This week in the reading, Christ talked with the Samaritan woman. In this discussion, we learn many key principles of the importance of Christ's mission. He talks of being the living water, the importance of spiritual worship, and the declaration that He is the Christ. In the example of the nobleman's son, we learn the power of absolute faith in Christ and His power. The leper was healed physically, but then next healing discussed, related to the palsied man. The palsied man was carried to where Christ was staying by his friends. Here the man was healed spiritually first when Christ told him "thy sins be forgiven thee". Then Christ healed the man physically with "arise, and take up they bed, and go they way into thine house."

Christ has moved us from doctrinal knowledge (be born again), to addressing mortal needs (physical healing), to spiritual needs (sins forgiven). To me, this illustrates some of the aspects of the atonement. The atonement works for each of us on varying levels from supporting us in our physical needs to helping us heal and progress spiritually.

As I try to apply this to my life and my learning, I find that to follow Christ, I need to look at it on two levels. First, how do I personally increase my faith, and continue to be healed spiritually. Second, how do I help others around me, as individuals, on their journey and as we all continue to progress through mortality.

One great lesson, Christ will take us from where we are today. As we use the atonement in our lives and rely on Christ, He will help us move forward. As we continue to grow in faith and reliance on Him, He will support and guide us. This help and guidance isn't always provided directly. It may be through others that our needs are met. For example, the palsied man would not have been healed had his friends not taken him to Christ. As we support each other, friends looking to help and assist, it allows all of us to continue to progress and move forward.

This reading of Jesus the Christ continues to fortify my testimony of Christ, who He was in mortality, what His mission was on earth, what His mission is, and how much He loves each of us. He wants us to progress and move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment