We hope you find joy in sharing together with the Women of Parleys Stake! Ward Presidents and the Stake Relief Society Presidency will share posts and we hope that you will share kind and uplifting comments and questions. We will publish comments from members of the Stake - whether they reside here, (or their hearts reside here), are serving in the mission-field or are attending school away from home. (Please sign your comments with your full name so that we can get to know you, better. Thanks!)

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Book of Mormon Chapters 1Ne 12-21

Hi sisters,neighbors, friends,

How I have loved sharing the joys of reading the Book of Mormon and Jesus the Christ together. Wonderful experiences, results of consistent study of the Savior and His grand and glorious purposes have been topics of discussion among us for these past weeks. I am trying to read both works and one certainly gives insight to another.
I would like to comment on the Book of Mormon reading of two weeks ago, of Nephi chapters 12-21. And though it is past reading it contains such poignant lessons that I cannot let it go by. There are so many exciting teachings in these chapters, but I want to focus on just two of the standout parts.
  1. The name of the book, The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Christ. The subtitle , Another Testament of Christ, is most often omitted when making reference to this book of scripture for convenience sake. I am reminded of its importance, though, when I read about the necessity of another testament of Christ in 1Nephi. Chapter 13 speaks specifically of the Bible, or the record of the Jews, that contains "the covenants of the Lord which he hath made with the house of Israel; and it also containeth many of the prophecies of the holy prophets. . . wherefore they are of great worth unto the gentiles." The angel of the Lord speaking to Nephi goes on to say "when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord" but over centuries of time and in Satan's efforts to "pervert the right ways of the Lord. . . there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book. . . (and) because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book . . . an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea insomuch that Satan hath great power over them." 1Ne 13:23,26-29 This same angel of the Lord then says to Nephi in the words of the Savior, "I will be merciful . . . I will bring forth. . . in mine own power, much of my gospel, which shall be plain and precious. . . These last records. . . shall establish the truth of the first . . . and shall make known the plain and precious things which have been taken away from them and shall make known to all. . . that the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, and the Savior of the world; and that all men must come unto him." 1Ne 13:34,40 I love this explanation of the need for the Book of Mormon Another Testament of Christ.
  2. The other standout verse of these chapters that I would like to mention is something we teach our children and need to be reminded of ourselves. It is the simple admonition to "liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning".1Ne 19:23 It took me some time to understand how literally this is to be taken. About 8 or so years ago I was serving with some remarkable women in our stake. They were women of inspiration and understanding. They were wordsmiths and poets. Masters of metaphor. It is from them that the light of symbolism went on in my soul. They were able to dissect and make plain the precious truths and I was able to 'see' with spiritual eyes what the lives and experiences of ancient people and not-so ancient people had to do with me. I learned about symbolism. I learned about metaphor. I learned about types and shadows of Christ. About noticing the evidences of the Creator in all things. It was so exciting! They taught me to 'see'. I have not read the scriptures or learned of gospel principles the same way since. I will always love these women and what they taught me. I am knowing and loving our Savior, Jesus Christ more deeply, and seeing Him more clearly. I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!!!

These are only 2 of the myriad of insights I am gaining as I read with you all. What have you 'seen' in recent readings? Please share. Please teach me more!

love to all of you.

Shawn Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment