We hope you find joy in sharing together with the Women of Parleys Stake! Ward Presidents and the Stake Relief Society Presidency will share posts and we hope that you will share kind and uplifting comments and questions. We will publish comments from members of the Stake - whether they reside here, (or their hearts reside here), are serving in the mission-field or are attending school away from home. (Please sign your comments with your full name so that we can get to know you, better. Thanks!)

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Jesus The Christ Reading...Chapters 20-21

There were four things in particular that I learned or that stood out to me in these chapters. First, I learned that the Jews regarded the border or hem of the garment of their outer robes as of particular importance...supplied with a band of blue, as a reminder to them of their obligations as the covenant people. It added new meaning to the story, which I love, of the woman with her long-standing malady who with incredible faith reached out in the crowd to touch the hem of His robe, knowing that she would be healed.

Second, The Jews had specific expectations of the Messiah and His coming, and Jesus did not measure up to those popular and traditional standards. As a result they could not see Who stood before them. This made me think of how often I build up expectations in my mind, of how things ought to be ... how my life should be or how my prayers should be answered etc. Most often, our idea is not the best. The Lord knows what we need most in our lives and how it should happen. I want to be more aware of Who stands before me...be worthy of His guidance and let Him guide... accepting and trusting what happens, knowing that He is aware of me and loves me.

Third, I believe strongly in Talmages words ..."Those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart". This reminded me of a favorite quote by C.S. Lewis..."What we do is evidence of who we are."

Fourth...Read the description of faith ...note 9, chapter 21! I loved it! It is wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mary. I too found those things to be true. I gives me so much to work on. I hadn't heard that quote from CS Lewis before thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lee and I have had a good chuckle over the differences between "old school and new school" reading! She made the reference to Note 9 in Chapter 21 and I remembered reading it and went back to reread in my eBook version and discovered that in my version it is Note 37!

    Whichever version you are reading - and I hope that you are reading - that is a wonderful note at the end of the Chapter. I LOVE the last line - "No compulsion is used in bringing men to a knowledge of God; yet, as fast as we open our hearts to the influences of righteousness, the faith that leads to eternal life will be given us of our Father."

    I love that image of speed and almost impulsive racing to open our hearts! That desire will lead us to the faith necessary to Come Home!

    Thanks, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete