We hope you find joy in sharing together with the Women of Parleys Stake! Ward Presidents and the Stake Relief Society Presidency will share posts and we hope that you will share kind and uplifting comments and questions. We will publish comments from members of the Stake - whether they reside here, (or their hearts reside here), are serving in the mission-field or are attending school away from home. (Please sign your comments with your full name so that we can get to know you, better. Thanks!)

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Parables and Miracles (Jesus the Christ Chp 19-20)

I am learning so much as I am reading this amazing book. But I have to admit to being about 100 pages behind the reading schedule. But no matter. I am going to plug along because slow and steady always finishes. The parables and miracles of Christ are some of my favorite parts of the New Testament. What could be better than studying the lessons of a master teacher and learning of his power to heal.

As I read I was reminded of two things: 1) parables can be understood on so many levels depending upon our readiness to receive (how rich is the soil of the heart) and 2)the order in which they are given according to Joseph Smith teaches about the gathering of Israel. Elder Bednar in his most recent conference address stated that the sequence of events is often instructive. So what can we learn about the gathering of Israel from these parables or on a more personal level, how do we make sure that we are among those who are gathered in. Here are my ideas:

1) The Sower = Christ brings the gospel --> what is the condition of my heart? Am I open to learning the gospel principles and doctrines?

2) Wheat and Tares = Apostasy --> How am I staying firmly planted to prevent my testimony from weakening?

3) Mustard Seed = Restoration --> What changes (small) am I making to help me be more like Christ and will result in my greater growth of testimony and faith?

4) The Leaven = Testimony/Witness --> What am I doing to stand as a witness of Christ in all places and at all times?

5) Treasure in field = Center place --> Do I value the gospel and its teachings enough to center my life around them and give all that I have to posses them.

6) Pearl of Great Price = Expansion of Stake --> How devoted am I to learning more and increasing my knowledge of the gospel? After what am I seeking?

7) Dragnet = Judgement --> What am I doing to ensure that I am part of the "good" portion that is kept? (Think of what we've recently learned about those things that qualify us for the celestial kingdom.)

I love Elder Talmage's explanation of how parables teach. It is only after time and experience have shaped our character and deepened our thoughts that the "living kernel of gospel truth" is found in "the husk of a simple tale." I want to have those kernels burst to life.

I realized anew the amazing power that Christ possesses to heal. My faith and hopes were renewed as I thought of how my life has been changed because of the healing power of the gospel. The healing can be spiritual, mental, or physical.

I have always been drawn to the incident where Christ calms the storm. I can relate (maybe too well) to the apostle's fears. At times I've felt overwhelmed by circumstances and too have cried out, "Don't you care?" in my heart. There isn't a single instance when I've done so that peace (in some form) hasn't come. The trial has not been removed, but my heart has calmed. "Peace, be still" is one of my favorite phrases. In thinking about the incident this time, I had to consider how I express my faith during times of trial. Do I give up or give in early on? Do I murmur that it's "just too hard"? Or do I place my trust in Christ and move forward step by step (no matter how small they may be). I don't want to be asked, "Where is thy faith?".

I found another great example of faith in Jairus. He'd come seeking Christ's help but on their way to Jairus' home they were waylaid. He didn't show impatience, according to the account, at the delay (something I surely would have done). But demonstrated trust in Christ's power no matter what. Even when he received news that his daughter had indeed died, he didn't give up. Jesus, in his infinite love and wisdom, provided just what was needed at the time with His encouragement, "Be not afraid, only believe." How often do I let fear or impatience drive out my trust and faith. The instruction to "Be not afraid...." is one that speaks calmness amidst the storm---Peace.

The miracles of healing the women with an issue of blood and the blind men are both based on the faith of the individual. Elder Talmage notes that faith is a principle of power and when we demonstrate sufficient faith, the Lord is bound by eternal laws to bestow a blessing. The hard part comes when what we've envisioned as the blessing isn't given. I came to realize a few years ago that when "healing" doesn't come it may not be due to a lack of faith, but that Christ is giving me an opportunity to develop more faith and that that knowledge can be gained in no other way.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn more of my Savior. I know that He lives. He wants to help us learn all that we can so that we can become as He and Father are. He is the giver of Peace amidst any storm.

Please take the opportunity to share what you learned from these chapters. What a blessing it is to learn from each of you.

Love,
Karri Hoyt

1 comment:

  1. Karri,
    That is a great insight in applying Elder Bednar's statement on the importance of sequence. All too often I forget that His house is a house of ORDER!
    Thanks for reminding us...

    ReplyDelete