Hi Parleys Women!! 2012 here we go!!! How unfortunate to BEGIN the new year already behind!! I admittedly had to skip a few of Talmage’s rich chapters to read and post about chapter 30. However. this is not the first time I have fallen behind and I know how to catch up.
The Christmas season was remarkably enhanced by my reading. How about you? I found Jesus Christ to be forefront in my mind even though the twinkles and sparkles and bells tried to distract me from Him. What a magnificent celebration of His birth when Its purpose had been refreshed and magnified through Talmage’s insight!
Chapter 30 tells of the last miracle witnessed by the Savior’s followers. And some of the final parables. The final miracle, the blighting of the fig tree, is powerful and unique. Talmage notes that while other miracles were wrought for relief, blessing and for the general good, this one “appears as an act of judgment and destructive execution”. It is a lesson in
1) His control over natural forces,
2) His jurisdiction over life and death,
3) His power to not only heal but to destroy.
He chooses a barren, fruitless tree to illustrate His irrefutable power, rather than any of his enemies. By this, his disciples are taught of His unconditional love of all mankind. He exhibits the power to destroy but in a few days He will submit willingly to His captors and destroyers. How could there be any doubt among the apostles of his voluntary sacrifice.
Then Talmage illuminates the symbolism. The fig tree is a symbolism of Judaism, a religion that claimed to be that of the chosen of the Lord and yet in its pretentious show it had degenerated into an artificial, empty, hollow, meaningless and distant “religionism” far from the guidance of the spirit, full of hypocrisy. Just as the tree was full of showy leaves and yet produced no fruit, the Jewish elders and rabbinical leaders talked the talk but did not walk the walk. Lots of showy leaves, No Fruit.
Jesus used three parables to teach “many are called, but few are chosen”, in very plain terms. The Parable of the Two Sons, The Parable of the wicked Husbandmen and the Parable of the Royal Marriage Feast all speak of God the Father sending prophets and then his Son, only to be rejected, persecuted and killed by His covenant people. The lesson here for me is in the Lord’s Question posed in the opening sentence of the Parable of the Two Sons. . . “But what think ye?” The question, then, was to the chief priests, scribes and elders of the people. The question, today, is to me, and to you. “But what think ye?”
Where do I stand? Am I the son who ,when asked by the Lord to work in the vineyard, says ‘I go’ and go not? Or am I the son who, when asked, answers ‘I will not’, but then repents and goes? I hope to be able to repent and go and do the things that are asked of me.
My testimony of the Savior, His miraculous entry into this world, His divine ministry of miracles, His atoning sacrifice and selfless submission to insure us the opportunity of change, rebirth and reentry into the presence of the Father has increased through this study of Jesus the Christ. I look at others through new eyes. I feel small yet resolute in changing. Isn’t it lovely to have a new year, a new month, or even the start of a new day to try again. It is not easy for me to keep up. It is most definitely worth the effort. We would love to hear of your testimony and your insights. Love you all!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment