We hope you find joy in sharing together with the Women of Parleys Stake! Ward Presidents and the Stake Relief Society Presidency will share posts and we hope that you will share kind and uplifting comments and questions. We will publish comments from members of the Stake - whether they reside here, (or their hearts reside here), are serving in the mission-field or are attending school away from home. (Please sign your comments with your full name so that we can get to know you, better. Thanks!)

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Image of Christ - Jesus the Christ chapters 31 & 32

I've been reading fairly quickly to make sure I can catch up from the days i was unable to read, and I have found it an interesting way to get different insight. The chapters and teachings have blended into a nice tapestry of the overall message, mission, and life of Christ.

This week, I didn't get very far in the reading before I was struck by something highlighted by Elder Talmage. I have come back to this teaching many times during the week. Right at the beginning of chapter 31, there is a discussion of the question "What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?" The question was designed to give Christ's enemies a reason to bring to him "justice". A "yes" answer would turn the multitude against Christ and a "no" answer would allow a denunciation to the Romans based on sedition. Instead Christ asked to see a coin and replied with the famous words "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's."

What struck me was the discussion around of Christ looking at the coin and using the image of Caesar to render to Caesar and the following discussion regarding the "render unto God" portion of the response.

If we want to render ourselves to God, we should have the image of God on our countenances. The teachings of Alma support this when he talks of having the image of God on our countenances. (Al 5). Elder Talmage stated the "every human soul is stamped with the image and superscription of God" even if they get blurred by sin. The admonition is to render to God ourselves.

Neal Maxwell stated that there is nothing we can give to God that He doesn't already have, except our wills - our willingness to do what is asked and becoming what He wants us to be. By turning our lives over to the Lord and allowing Him to mold us, we become the best we can be and become tools in the Lord's hands. At that time, we begin to "render to God" our souls.

This isn't easy, nor do I think that it is possible to always move in the right direction. Often the realities of mortality slow us down, knock us back, or impede our progress. However, with the atonement of Christ, we are able to overcome anything that mortality brings. As we get closer to reading more about the atonement and the final events of Christ's mortality, we are able to gain a better understanding of how it all fits together and the importance of Christ's mission. I am grateful for the opportunity to learn new lessons, relearn old lessons, and become closer to Christ. Because of His mission, His willingness to complete the mission, His love for us, all things are possible.

What a great opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful message. I hadn't quite put that all together in that way. I love the imagery. I have "relearned" a truth about having God's image in my countenance and what that means.

    Karri Hoyt

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful insight. I had not quite put it all together in that way. I have learned anew what it means to have God's image in my countenance and what my responsibility is. I want the superscription on myself to be "In God I trust," "Obedient servant," "Faithful Daughter," etc. Thank you for giving me more to think about as I study further.

    Karri

    ReplyDelete