We hope you find joy in sharing together with the Women of Parleys Stake! Ward Presidents and the Stake Relief Society Presidency will share posts and we hope that you will share kind and uplifting comments and questions. We will publish comments from members of the Stake - whether they reside here, (or their hearts reside here), are serving in the mission-field or are attending school away from home. (Please sign your comments with your full name so that we can get to know you, better. Thanks!)

Friday, February 10, 2012

Chapters 35 and 36

I feel fortunate to make a few comments on these two chapters about the crucifixion and spirit world as described and explained by Talmage. The crucifixion scenario has been relived through the scriptures,novels, poetry and movies because of its tragic ending as well as promise.
As I read these two chapters I thought of an experience I had as a child around ten years old. The gospel was not in our home at the time but I was intently watching a movie around Easter time about Christ's crucifixion. My wonderful father, who was not a member, reminded me that Jesus was a great teacher. But I had a quiet and distinct voice tell me that "He is the Son of God." This wonderful memory returned to me in my college years as I began to study the gospel and read the New Testament.

I also reflected as I read these two chapters of an experience we had in our Sunday School Class last year when we were asked to write down three things we know to be true about the gospel that we could describe if we had a missionary opportunity. I wrote: #1 Jesus is the Christ #2 Jesus and Heavenly Father love us and #3 that we can be with our loved ones again after death. I think these two chapters eloquently explain that these three principles are true.

Probably my favorite scripture is when Jesus prays: "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." Even under extreme duress and pain He only thought of his flock, the Jews, and those involved . He also remembered His mother and gave her care to his apostle, John. Nephi describes this situation: "And the world, because of their iniquity, shall judge him to be a thing of naught; wherefore they scourge him, and he suffereth it; and they smite him, and he suffereth it. Yea, they spit upon him, and he suffereth it, because of his loving kindness and his long-suffering towards the children of men." (1 Nephi 19:9) Because of His loving kindness and charity for all of us, He was able to transcend all physical and emotional pain and forgive.

If you are interested in further knowledge, Elder Jeffey R. Holland has written a book called "Christ and the New Covenant" which describes in depth Old Testament and Book of Mormon "Types" of Christ's life, crucifixion and resurrection which compliment Talmage's descriptions.

I want you Sisters to know that I have a testimony of Christ and of His life and Resurrection and hope that as I live my life that I will be someday worthy to again to return to His presence along with my loved ones and friends in the Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment