Hi Sisters! My blog post is out of order but these chapters are important nonetheless.
The reading includes the resurrection and the acts of the apostles following the death and resurrection of the Savior.
In these chapters the apostles are learning the reality of the resurrection. Incomprehensible as it had been, they now are receiving a witness of the resurrected Lord as He appears to them on several most important occasions and they witness the wounds in his hands and feet and side. They are given their final commission to go and "teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. . . and lo I am with you alway. . . ".
They witnessed His ascension. Talmage describes in epic verbiage and testimony:
" The Lord's ascension was accomplished; it was as truly a literal departure of
a material Being as His resurrection had been an actual return of His spirit
to His own corporeal body, theretofore dead. With the world abode and
yet abides the glorious promise, that Jesus the Christ, the same Being
who ascended from Olivet in His immortalized body of flesh and bones,
shall return, descending from the heavens in similarly material form
and substance."
And then His apostles taught with magnified zeal and conviction the gospel of Jesus Christ. The church grew in numbers and conviction. Writes Talmage: "to them faith in the Lord Jesus Christ was of greater worth than the wealth of earth. Among them, there was nothing called "mine'" or "thine, but all things were theirs in the Lord." How about the lesson in that!?
I add my humble testimony in simple phrase, I know these things to be true! I know Christ was born of an earthly mother and of God the Father under simple yet significant circumstance. I know He dwelled and taught among Jew and Gentile performing miracles of body and spirit that testified of the Father. I know he was loved and recognized by many and hated and despised by others. I know that He willing submitted to persecution of the most extreme kind and ultimately He atoned for our sins and shortcomings of every kind out of an incomprehensible love of all mankind. I know that following His ignominious death at Calvary His body was restored and resurrected and ascended to His Father, our Father to return to us again at the appointed time. I know He did "not leave the world comfortless" (John 14:16,18) the Holy Ghost is real and ready. That the Savior "stands at the door and knocks" (Rev3:20), and His hand is stretched out still"(Isa5:25). I know He loves me and cares how I conduct my life and how I bear trial. I know. . .I know! My testimony is enhanced and increased from my study of Talmage's Jesus the Christ. I wish the same for all. I write this in the name of Jesus the Christ. Amen
Yours in the shared Gospel,
Shawn Morgan
No comments:
Post a Comment