When we announced we were starting this reading project, I had two friends mention to me how meaningful and wonderful the notes were following each chapter. I have taken the time to read the notes and have gained a lot of insight to each chapter. For this post, I would like to focus on the notes following the chapters.
In Chapter 39, note #3 clarifies the Baptism Among the Nephites After the Lord's Visitation. "We read that before the second appearing of Christ to the Nephites, the chosen Twelve were baptized. These men had doubtless been baptized before. . . The baptism of the disciples on the morn of the Savior's second visit, was in the nature of a rebaptism, involving a renewal of covenants, and confession of faith in the Lord Jesus . . . In the church today a repetition of the baptismal rite on an individual is allowable under certain specific conditions, but is not commonplace."
The 5th note in Chapter 40 caught my attention, The Mission of Columbus and Its Results. "Unto Nephi was shown the future of his people. . . The coming of a man from among the Gentiles, across the deep waters, was revealed in such plainness as to positively identify that man with Columbus. . . 'And it came to pass that the angel said unto me, Behold the wrath of God is upon the seed of thy brethren. And I looked and beheld a man among the Gentiles who was separated from the seed of my brethren by the many waters; and I beheld the Spirit of God, that it came down and wrought upon the man; and he went forth upon the many waters, even unto the seed of my brethren, who were in the promised land. And it came to pass that I beheld the Spirit of God, that it wrought upon other Gentiles; and they went forth out of captivity, upon the many waters.' " I love that the journey of Columbus was known by Nephi.
I have loved reading Jesus the Christ. It has strengthened my testimony of our Savior. I am grateful for His loving example and His life I am truly grateful for the gospel and for each of you.
With love,
Liz
No comments:
Post a Comment