It took me years to learn the lessons I needed to from the first few chapters of the Book of Ether. I have read it untold number of times. It is a compelling story. Jared and his brother are living at the time of the Tower of Babel. The Lord confounds the languages of the people and Jared begs his brother to ask the Lord not to confound theirs. The Lord agrees and they as well as their friends have their language saved. Jared asks his brother to inquire of the Lord where He is going to send them. The first part of the lesson it took me so long to learn is found in chapter 38 of Ether 1. Jared makes the statement " And who knoweth but the Lord will carry us forth into a land which is choice above all the Earth". What faith that shows. Yeah I know we are probably going to have to leave, but the Lord will take us somewhere better! It is in total contrast to Lots wife. She was looking back at what she was leaving behind. Not believing that where the Lord was taking her was better than where she had been! Jared's faith was forward looking. Believing that the Lord had good things ahead for them. It doesn't mean the journey was going to be easy. Yes there was a place the Lord wanted them, but growing and faith building opportunities lay ahead for them. Things were actually pretty good for them. So good that the Brother of Jared forgot to commune with God along the way. God corrected this during a 3 hour conversation. I really would love to know all that was said during those three hours! One thing he tells him is that the Spirit will not always strive with man. If we sin, by commission or omission, the Spirit can't dwell with us. If we are undertaking a journey,and we all are, we MUST have the Spirit with us to guide us. The Lord tells Jared to build barges. He is going to take them across the waters to the promised land. We all know the story about air and light. The Lord says make some holes and you will be able to breathe. Light was a bit harder. I love the way the Lord interacts with the brother of Jared here. He asks him What do you want me to do. I love this. It shows that the Lord knows the brother of Jared. He knows he is capable and He will honor whatever he comes up with. This is a great lesson for us. The Lord knows we are bright, capable women. He will honor our righteous decisions and touch our stones to make them glow! This is what he did for the brother of Jared. They would now have light as they crossed the waters. Now onto what has been one of the best lessons I have ever learned from the scriptures. It is found in Ether chapter 6. This journey that they undertake after entering into the barges. They were in these vessels for 344 days. It was not an easy ride. vs. 5 and 6 speak of a "furious wind" that is blowing them and causing mountainous waves that are driving them deep into the sea. I imagine I would have been terrified. When they were buried they cried unto the Lord and he brought them up again. Did you catch that. When the journey was difficult and scary they cried unto the Lord and he rescued them. That is one aspect of this great lesson. Turn to the Lord in our difficult times, but that for me wasn't the main lesson. The main lesson is this; those furious winds were blowing them TOWARDS the Promised Land. There was purpose behind those storms. Those storms were taking them somewhere. I was reading these verses one day and the Spirit gently told me that my storms,those trials and difficulties I have, are driving me on to my Promised Land. Of course my Promised Land is the Celestial Kingdom. It is living where God and Jesus live. My individual "furious winds" are moving me forward to that place. They are allowing me to ultimately get to where I want to be. They are refining me and teaching me. They make me more like He is. They teach me, as they did the Jaredites, to turn to the Lord and He will bring me up again. It is trusting the God knows where I am supposed to be and the kind of person I need to become. My storms of life, although difficult, keep me moving in His direction. They ultimately get me home!
Julie Wilkes
RS President Parleys 7th ward
Julie Wilkes
RS President Parleys 7th ward
That is just beautiful. I too have been taught that lesson about trials. I'm not sure how well I apply it at times. It is definitely one to keep in mind as we face the trials and challenges of life, whether big or small, that they are helping us to reach our promised land. Thank you for reminding me of what the purposes of trials are.
ReplyDeleteKarri Hoyt